Through our exceptional health care services, we reveal the healing presence of God.
Inspired by our founding religious sisters, we value the sacredness and dignity of each person. These five values embody our heritage and ministry:
- Respect – We respect life at all stages and promote the dignity and well-being of every person.
- Compassion – We reveal the healing presence of God through compassionate care focused on the fullness of the person.
- Excellence – We provide exceptional care and service through employees and physicians dedicated to our Mission.
- Community – We cultivate relationships that inspire service and promote justice in our organization and throughout our communities, with special concern for the poor and marginalized.
- Stewardship – We use financial, human and natural resources responsibly and care for the environment.
In 1898, two Sisters from the order of the Sisters of St. Francis set out from Maryville, Missouri to Oklahoma City, in search of money to support their local hospital. When they arrived on a spring day, they approached Father Lanslots of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church to petition his congregation for funds. He abided to their wish on one condition: that any money raised would go towards opening a hospital in Oklahoma City, as the newly established Territory did not have a hospital and its citizens were dying from lack of care. The Sisters agreed, and on August 1, 1898, they opened St. Anthony Hospital. That small house had twelve beds.
The need for health care grew with the city. In 1899, the Sisters moved St. Anthony to a larger facility. With twenty-five patient rooms, St. Anthony found its home just outside city limits, where the hospital still stands today.
As the hospital grew, the Sisters’ vision to provide service to those in need flourished. In 1940, the hospital expanded for the third time, to 250 beds. Its fourth expansion in the 60’s and fifth in the 70’s brought that number to 800.
In 1987, the Sisters of St. Francis expanded their vision of service, joining the Sisters of St. Mary to form the Franciscan Sisters of Mary. Also in 1987, St. Anthony joined SSM Health, an organization supported by the newly formed order. In 1998 and in 2004, St. Anthony demonstrated its commitment to service and quality by receiving the Oklahoma Quality Award for Excellence. In 2002, SSM Health became the first health care organization to receive the prestigious Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award. In 2010, SSM Health Care of Oklahoma, the region in which St. Anthony is a part, received the Oklahoma Quality Award for Excellence. On November 16, 2013, the Franciscan Sisters of Mary officially transitioned sponsorship of SSM to a new sponsoring body, SSM Health ministries.
In 2004, St. Anthony renewed its commitment to the Midtown area by announcing a 10-year, $220 million expansion and renovation. Now, with the hospital’s and the city’s efforts, Midtown Oklahoma City is thriving — much like it was in the hospital’s early days. St. Anthony’s most recent campus development activities include a new education center, cardiac emergency department, renovation of the Center for Behavioral Medicine, and many other facility and service enhancements for the benefit of its patients and the community. In January, 2012, St. Anthony introduced the state’s first freestanding emergency rooms with the opening of two new St. Anthony Healthplex campuses in Oklahoma City. St. Anthony Healthplex East, I-40 and Douglas, and St. Anthony Healthplex South, I-44 and S.W. 134th Street, are state-of-the-art medical facilities that include 24/7 full service emergency rooms, diagnostic imaging services, sleep centers, women’s centers, laboratory services, and primary care and physician specialty offices. A specialty transport ambulance was placed into service on April 2, 2012, to transport patients from the St. Anthony Healthplex campuses to the downtown facility when necessary.
In December, 2014, St. Anthony Healthplex Mustang opened in Mustang, Oklahoma, and in February 2015, St. Anthony Healthplex North opened at N. Western Avenue and Memorial Road in Oklahoma City. Patterned after the first two successful St. Anthony Healthplex campuses described above, the Mustang location added procedure suites, and the North location added MRI services.
In June, 2016, St. Anthony completed its $220 million campus expansion that began in 2004, as it celebrated the opening of The Pavilion, a four-story building addition with a new emergency room, progressive care unit, two intensive care units, and new heliport.